Yemen: More violence ahead of humanitarian pause
CNN, 12 May 2015
Sanaa, Yemen (CNN)Yemen's residents saw a much-needed break late Tuesday in the fighting gripping the country as a five-day humanitarian pause proposed by Saudi Arabia went into effect.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said Friday that his country would implement the pause at 11 p.m. local time (4 p.m. ET) to allow humanitarian organizations to bring in aid.
It had been unclear whether the Houthis, the Shiite minority rebel group that ousted Yemeni President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi this year, would abide by the proposed halt in fighting between their forces on the ground and a Saudi-led coalition.
But a Houthi-appointed Yemeni military spokesman, Kaleb Luqman, said the rebels agreed with the proposed pause, the country's Houthi-run news agency, SABA, reported Saturday, and the ceasefire went into effect as planned.