Search form

Number of results: 210

  • Update on two shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean

    news UNHCR, 09 May 2017 (7 years ago )
    This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Cécile Pouilly – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva. In the last 24 hours we have received alarming information on two new shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean. The first ...
  • Twenty feared dead in latest Mediterranean tragedy

    news UNHCR, 16 May 2017 (7 years ago )
    This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson William Spindler – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva. Reports emerging from the sea rescue effort between Italy and Libya suggest around 20 men, women and children are missin...
  • UN refugee chief Grandi in Libya: UNHCR ramping up its humanitarian response

    news UNHCR, 21 May 2017 (7 years ago )
    UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, announced today that it is stepping up its presence and programmes in Libya in response to the worsening humanitarian crisis resulting from conflict, insecurity, political instability and a collapsing economy in the North African country. Amid the increasing complexity...
  • UNHCR deeply concerned about the latest reports of deaths at sea on the Mediterranean

    news UNHCR, 11 Jun 2017 (7 years ago )
    UNHCR is deeply concerned about the latest reports of deaths at sea on the Mediterranean this weekend. According to the Italian Coast Guard, eight corpses have been recovered so far and at least 52 people are feared missing from two incidents involving large numbers of people on flimsy dinghies off...
  • World Refugee Day - Reports of three new shipwrecks in the Mediterranean Sea

    news UNHCR, 20 Jun 2017 (7 years ago )
    This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Cécile Pouilly – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva. 20 June 2017 UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency received information last night about three new shipwrecks in the Mediterrane...
  • UNHCR’s Volker Turk warns of threats to global asylum environment in key address

    news UNHCR, 05 Oct 2017 (6 years ago )
    Violations of international refugee law, such as attacks by troops and families being driven back across borders, jeopardized the safety of people fleeing for their lives in 2017, UNHCR’s international protection chief said today. In a key annual address to the UN Refugee Agency’s annual Executive ...
  • UNHCR chief exhorts France to promote solidarity towards refugees in Europe

    news UNHCR, 10 Oct 2017 (6 years ago )
    PARIS – UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said on Monday that France has a leading role to play in resettling refugees and managing migration flows in Europe. During a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron, Grandi added that the UNHCR supports France in its efforts to “lead E...
  • UNHCR helping 10,000 refugees & migrants, thousands of internally displaced in Libya’s Sabratha

    news UNHCR, 13 Oct 2017 (6 years ago )
    This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva. Since last Friday, UNHCR teams in Libya have been responding to the urgent humanitarian needs in and around Sabratha, a ...
  • Libya: Refugees and migrants held captive by smugglers in deplorable conditions

    news UNHCR, 17 Oct 2017 (6 years ago )
    This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva. For over a week, UNHCR teams have been working around the clock to meet the urgent needs of over 14,500 migrants and ref...
  • News Comment by Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR’s Special Envoy for the Central Mediterranean Situation, on the first evacuation of refugees from Li...

    news UNHCR, 11 Nov 2017 (6 years ago )
    “I’m pleased to announce that a first group of 25 extremely vulnerable refugees were evacuated today, Saturday 11 November, from Libya to Niger by UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency. Among these 25 refugees, there were 15 women, six men and four children of Eritrean, Ethiopian and Sudanese nationalities....